Monday, February 9, 2009

From La Rambla To The Alhambra


La Rambla: major thoroughfare of Barcelona
Alhambra: great moorish palace and fortress of Granada in Andalucia

Welcome!
We will be traveling to Spain this year. We leave on March 18, 2009 and will return on April 8. We will spending 5 nights in Barcelona and then traveling on to Andalucia, visiting Cordoba and Granada and spending 10 days in a cottage in Bubion, a small town in Las Alpujarras villages of the Sierra Nevada mountains. We will try to keep our blog updated as we go. Our hope is that you can feel as though you are on vacation with us, enjoying the sights and descriptions of this colorful and energetic country. Think flamenco, sangria, tapas, paella. Sunshine, beaches and mountains. Miro, Picasso and Gaudi. What particularly drew us to Andalucia is the historical semblance of a culture that thrived on diversity, where Christians, Muslims and Jews lived together, respected each other and, in doing so, foraged a magnificent society of prosperity, philosophy, science and art. We look forward to the art and architecture of the thrilling city of Barcelona. We will visit Malaga, the birthplace of Picasso, and Cordoba, home of the philosopher Maimonides. Travel along with us on our journey!











14 comments:

joncyn said...

hola
Estoy muy feliz de ser el primero en comentar.
España te amay te encantan españa
un matrimonio
Espero que tu español es una buena tortilla

Amor, Jonathan

Basil said...

I don't understand....is there nothing in Catalunya worth seeing outside of Barcelona?
Have a wonderful time!

Martin Saunders said...

Jonathan,
My lack of Spanish leads me to translate your comment as:
Hello
I am happy to make my first comment. I love Spain and I want to marry Spain. I hope your Spain in a beautiful tortilla. Love, Jonathan
I am guessing that I am not too close! I hope your future comments are in good plain American!!

Martin Saunders said...

Basil,
Is Greece in Catalunya? You know what they say: "You can take the Grease out of Catalunya, but you can't take the cat from a Greek looney!"

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing your trip. Are you going to put together another book?

Martin Saunders said...

Vinnie,
Great to hear from you. It's been way too long. And you and Stella are the inspiration for the blog in the first place ("A Month In Manhattan").
There just might be a book of photos from this trip. Also, I will be posting images to my Flickr site.

Grandpa Chuck said...

Martin & Cindy,

It sounds like a fantastic trip to a fascinating part of the world. I'll be happy to follow along.

Is your cottage near the beach? In the mountains?

Martin Saunders said...

Chuck,
Welcome along. It'll be great to have you with us. Our cottage is in Bubion in the Sierra Nevada mountains. It is one of the last strongholds of the Moors expelled from Granada. It is 1 1/2 hours from Granada and a little less to the coast. There are web links,directly from my first post, to the cottage and also to Bubion village.

joncyn said...

I'm sorry my Spanish Poem revealed only a Spanish omelette. I'm sure the reality will provide greater surprise. You must be looking forward with excitement as the beginning moves closer.

xx

Martin Saunders said...

Jonathan,
A week before we leave and part of me is already over the Atlantic. Then again, that trans-Atlantic state is quite familiar! Keep the love poems coming.

Basil said...

Regarding your reply to my previous comment:

Um, quite.

Martin Saunders said...

Basil,
Yeah, sorry...I don't even know what I'm talking about sometimes!

Bill Cheadle said...

Heh Guys:
Sorry I missed your departure. Hope you have a great trip. I'll keep you posted on all the amazing happenings on 1 East. Did you hear Basil has been hired as the new CEO of Meriter? Stunning!!!
Have fun, Bill

Martin Saunders said...

Bill,
Thanks for the work update. I leave for one day and the whole tone of the place...improves! We just arrived in Barcelona after 24 hours of travel. We are exhausted, delirious, happy! More to follow.